<$BlogRSDURL$>

Books that I've had my nose in whilst on fag breaks.

Monday, July 12, 2004

'Big Bad World: Cartoon Molotovs in the Face of Corporate Rule' by Polyp

I bought this from one of the stores in the Leftfield at the Glastonbury Festival (could have been the War on Want store, thinking on it), and read it all in one sitting. As I was buying it, a lad came into the tent behind me and said, "I love that book! Mine's falling to bits, I've read it so much."

He was right. It is meant to be funny, but it's also meant to be passing on a serious message or 10. I found myself chuckling aloud at first, then carrying the message away with me, which means that Polyp has done his job and done it well.

All of his cartoons fall into that broad category, so easily ignored by trillions of people, as 'politics'. Thousands of people are dead... oh! I'm not interested in politics. There's another war and our own troops are dead... oh! I'm not interested in politics. There are children being sold into slavery by parents who know that's the only way to stop them from starving or being bludgeoned in the night... oh! I'm not interested in politics.

Well, I am.

If you don't buy this book, I'll buy it for you for Christmas.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?