<$BlogRSDURL$>

Books that I've had my nose in whilst on fag breaks.

Monday, July 12, 2004

'The Dark is Rising Sequence' by Susan Cooper

Bookshop Kate has been going on and on about this book (well, five books, as the sequence is the collected books: 'Over Sea, Under Stone', 'The Dark is Rising', 'Greenwitch', 'The Grey King' and 'Silver on the Tree'), until I just gave up, bought it and proceeded to read it during my fag breaks.

I loved it! It's aimed at children again, but the complexities of the narrative and the cameos by so many Celtic and Anglo mythological characters make it a delight for adults too. There were holes the size of Bournemouth - why couldn't Merriman take the dangerous quests off the children? - but they aren't the questions that children would ask and I constantly had to slap myself one for asking them.

I did find myself falling into the story time and time again, and I stayed up until 4am to finish it after promoting it from fag break reading only into gotta finish it! reading.

Recommended for children of all ages.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?