<$BlogRSDURL$>

Books that I've had my nose in whilst on fag breaks.

Thursday, August 12, 2004

'Stupid White Men' by Michael Moore

This is one of those books which all of my friends own and therefore, I've read the first chapter about ten times, whilst waiting for them to get ready to leave the house. This gave me a very skewed pre-conception of the book. I thought it was going to be about the Bush administration and that it was going to centre on its foreign policy.

No, that's just the first chapter. The rest of the book covers a range of issues, with each chapter standing alone. If there is a recurrent theme, it concerns race and/or social status, but it lampoons the Democrats as viciously as it lampoons the Republicans.

I'm glad that I've finally got round to reading 'Stupid White Men'. I've laughed aloud until tears rolled down my face (I particularly enjoyed Moore's solution to the Irish Troubles), while also agreeing with the majority of points made. Ordinarily, big, brash sarcastic isn't my humour, but I'll make an exception for Michael Moore. I doubt a British man could have got away with writing this book, as it does dumb issues down in part, but you expect this of Moore and so he gets away with it. In fact, quite cleverly, because underneath all of the bluff and palaver, he makes some intensely important points.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?